Monday, 15 October 2012

Channelling Annie Hall


Over the weekend, I watched one of my favourite Woody Allen movies, Annie Hall. Every outfit is a constant source of style inspiration, even now, decades later. 


What I love most about this character is that she wears quirky vintage menswear with such conviction.  She has such a way of layering loose fitted slacks, men’s jackets, vests and (my favourite) ties without looking like a complete nutcase. It is effortlessly chic. I really want to start incorporating these key pieces into my everyday life. 


After buying this vest, years ago, I never had the courage to wear it, and last weekend I was about to donate it to the Salvation Army when my mom stopped me from giving it away. I am so happy I kept it because I think this is the key piece that pulls this entire look together. 


It’s surprising to know that the iconic Annie Hall look was created by Diane Keaton herself. She pulled pieces from her own wardrobe to embody the character. It has been said that the costume designer at the time criticized the menswear inspired outfits but director Woody Allen made sure she had her way, quoted saying "She's a genius…Let her wear what she wants." We gotta give him props for that.


If you’re attempting to pull off this style, you don’t have to be so literal with it. If you don’t want to sport a tie, go for a print bow blouse. I myself decided to switch the slacks with shorts and the men’s dress shirt with my chambray top. The best part about this look is that a lot of the key pieces and accessories that make this style so "Annie Hall" can be picked up from your local thrift store. 


I compiled some images below of some my favourite stills from the movie, just in case you haven't seen it but, seriously, do yourself a favour and check it out. If you have seen this movie congratulations on being an awesome individual. Here is the trailer for your enjoyment.


Thanks for following and happy shopping!

Hat: Mom's - Vintage, Shirt: Top- $60, Tie: Thrift - $2, Vest: Forever 21 - $20, Shorts: H&M - $25, Shoes: Cole Haan - $48.

Photo Credit: Emma Kapetanovic
Location: Toronto






1 comment:

Alfred P said...

*slow clap* You outdid yourself.