Friday, 14 December 2012

Picking Trees


It's almost time, it's almost time!!! There are 10 days until Christmas and we have decided to bring you another holiday inspired look, this time featuring TREES!


I love Christmas trees - the smell, the nostalgia, and the foresty-green colours all serve as inspiration for my wardrobe this time of year. This outfit incorporates pine tones seen in the shirt dress as well as a pop of colour thanks to my fuchsia and moss green scarf (a spin on the traditional red/green contrasting colour pallet) - another great find from my local thrift store.


A couple of weekends ago, Emma and I decorated my Christmas tree. Although our tree is plastic and doesn't have the evergreen scent I love, it does save one tree from having to be cut down this season. This was the first Christmas tree that Emma has ever decorated because she doesn’t celebrate Christmas, except for Christmas dinner at my house (a 13 year tradition).


In my house, most of our ornaments are sentimental. For example, ornaments that my mom got when my brother and I were born, when we got our dog, when my parents bought their first house, etc. Personally, I like collecting Christmas ornaments because then the tree has a story, but perhaps not so fortunate to others who have to listen to me point out every ornament and describe its history.


During my first road trip with my friends, I started a tradition where I now collect Christmas ornaments from each big trip I take or each country I visit. The first ornament I ever bought to start my collection was from San Francisco. It was one of my favourite cities during the road trip and I didn’t think at the time that I would ever go back given I was moving to Toronto shortly after.  It’s funny how things work out. 


Now I have ornaments from Prague, Italy, Spain, Switzerland and lots more that decorate my tree. It was hard to backpack across Western Europe collecting ornaments considering we visited 13 countries but I was able to turn small souvenirs that conserved space into ornaments. For example, I kept a bottle cork from the Moet and Chandon winery Emma and I visited in France and turned it into a Christmas ornament.


I hope you are enjoying the holiday decorations at your house just as much as I am.

Thanks for following and happy shopping!

Dress: Zara - $25, Sweater: J.Crew - $12, Jacket – Japan, Earrings – Bosnia, Scarf: Thrifted - $5, Jeans: Macy's - $20, Boots: Steve Madden - $105, Sunglasses: Urban Outfitters - $10.

Photo Credit: Emma Kapetanovic
Location: Hometown






No comments: