Wednesday, 30 January 2013

Fur Faux Pas



It is commonly suggested amongst fashion folks that shorter girls should steer clear of overly lengthy styles. The rationale behind this tip is that longer-lengthed garments have a tendency to envelope a smaller framed girl and depending on where the hem is, can also cut the line of the body making them appear even shorter. Well...clearly we don't completely agree.


This is another item I picked up at my local thrift store. It was love at first sight when I saw this fabulous collar sticking out between a plethora of other neatly hung coats. Making sure it was faux fur as usual, I proceeded to pick it up and realised that it went all the way down to my shoes. It was at that moment that I decided - rules were about to be broken.


After all, why should I be limited just because I'm petite? Even if it didn't look "good" by customary standards, fashion is all about fun isn't it? I loved it and that's all that mattered.


When I got home I decided to play around with proportions by cinching the coat at my waist with a vintage belt. I paired it with this navy button down shirt and added another vintage piece, a drop pearl bow broche. I think this look is very feminine and would also look great with over-the-knee boots.


We encourage you to play with proportions and ignore the typical "fashion faux-pas." In a lot of cases, that is exactly what inspires new eras of trends (think flappers from the 40's vs. poodle skirts from the 50's). Have fun and let us know what your favourite fashion rules are to break!

Thanks for following and happy shopping!

Jacket: Thrifted - $17, Blouse: Banana Republic - $35, Gloves: Mom's - Vintage, Boots: Steve Madden - $77, Tights: Old, Broche: Mom's - Vintage.

Location: Hometown
Photo Credit: Emma Kapetanovic



No comments: